Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tetz's first REAL class

Yesterday I did my first real CrossFit class. The Elements classes are no more. I've graduated.

I was so nervous.

My hands were sweating all day. My heart was racing as I left the house. I'd taken a look at the WOD earlier that day and didn't recognize any of the exercises.

What if I can't do it? What if I don't know what I'm doing and I look stupid? What if I injure myself? What if I pass out? What if I barf? What if everyone judges me?


When I got there, there was a split second where I was about to turn around.

No one has seen you. No one will ever know you were supposed to be here... except the coaches, who saw you sign up. And hoodie, who told you to stop being scared and just do it. And the approximately 4,000 other people that I talked to during the day that I apparently felt needed to know that I was nervous about CrossFit.

So I soldiered on. And you know what... I didn't look (that) stupid. I didn't injure myself. I didn't pass out. I didn't barf. Everyone was too busy thinking about their own workout to worry about judging me. I didn't die... not even a little bit.

Coach Eddie explained every exercise that I didn't know and helped me figure out my weights. Before I started the WOD, my goal was 5 rounds for the AMRAP (as many rounds as possible) portion of the workout, and I met that goal with about 5 seconds to spare.

Success.

I'll be going back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment