Monday, May 21, 2012

CrossFit Games and chin-ups


The CrossFit Games...totally inspiring. I've never seen anything quite like it.

I've been hearing a lot about how one of the best things about CrossFit is the community. When I went to watch the Canada East Regionals last weekend, I started to see what people meant by that. In the midst of intense competition there was still a great sense of camaraderie, both within teams and between competitors. People cheered just as loudly for the last place team as for the first place team. When someone was struggling to complete a muscle-up, fighting to lock out a snatch, or collapsing on the ground after the grueling event 6, the whole crowd was into it, sympathizing with the struggle and admiring the accomplishment.

Unfortunately, I only managed to take one picture before my BlackBerry died. Here's the arena set up for the men's snatch ladder:


In other news, I suck at chin-ups.

As hoodie mentioned, Tuesday's workout involved chin over bar holds during warm-up and chin-ups (for those of us who can't do rope climbs) during the WOD.

I remember doing many, many chin-ups and pull-ups as a gymnast. Tuesday's workout would have been no big deal. I usually trained for about 16 hours a week (which, for gymnastics, isn't really that much), and strength and conditioning was a part of every workout.

One time, another gymnast REQUESTED more conditioning. I was aghast. I remember my coach saying that when I was older, I'd understand.

And I do! I do understand! The time has come where most of my day is spent sitting at a desk, my metabolism isn't quite as fast, organized, competitive sports have come to an end, and it takes so. much. more. effort to get my butt moving. I never thought I'd be asking for more conditioning, but I am!

Last week, my goal was 4 CrossFit classes, but I only ended up doing 3. Friday morning I had a session with my trainer and by the end of the day my shoulder was extremely sore, so I wimped out and skipped my Saturday morning CrossFit class.

This week, I'm aiming for 4 again: Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday. I hope I have good things to report next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment