Thursday, May 3, 2012

Lift like a girl

Earlier this year, my personal trainer started teaching me olympic lifts and a whole new world of fitness opened up to me. Every workout gets my heart rate up, challenges my whole body, and I love the sense of accomplishment when I increase my weights or when I master something new.

One day, I'd like to lift like these amazing ladies at California Strength.

(Don't google olympic lifting accidents. I MEAN IT. DON'T DO IT. For those out there concerned for my safety, don't worry - I work with a trained professional. She would never let me lift more than I can handle. And sometimes that means all I lift is wooden stick.)

As much as I love lifting, I know I'll need more cardio in order to reach my weight and fitness goals. Also, I hate cardio. I don't know how hoodie does this running and biking and swimming thing. It sounds like straight up torture to me.

Enter CrossFit. As they emphasised to us during our first class, CrossFit aims to improve ALL the domains of fitness (cardiovascular, strength, flexibility, speed, power, coordination, balance, accuracy, stamina, and agility). I'm only 4 classes in, but so far I'm thinking that CrossFit might be... *sniff*... the one. I'm pumped that hoodie decided to join me. Her exclamation of "THAT WAS AWESOME" to our coach after workout #1 pretty much sums it up.

I'm actually sad that I'm not going back until Saturday, but after 4 workouts in 3 days (2 at CrossFit, 2 with my trainer), my arms and shoulders feel shredded and I need some recovery time.

So it's time to catch up on Game of Thrones. I'm way behind the times and am only at the beginning of season 1. I hear season 2 gets craaaaaazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment