Sunday, September 23, 2012

Paleo lettuce wraps


I made it to 5 CrossFit classes and one 2.5 hour game of volleyball this week, so I felt today should be a day of rest. I wanted to do some cooking for the week, but I was feeling lazy and uninspired, so I dragged out all my cookbooks and started browsing through pinterest to find something that would make me hungry.

I happened upon these lettuce wraps from Iowa Girl Eats. I stuck to her recipe pretty closely, with a few minor modifications to make them a bit more paleo-friendly, and they were DELICIOUS.



Here's what I did:

Ingredients
  • 1 tsp coconut oil
  • 1lb extra lean ground chicken breast
  • 1/2 medium onion, minced
  • salt & pepper, a dash of each (I used Chinese white pepper, and it was yum. You can find it at any Asian grocery store. It is NOT like the white pepper you get in the regular spice aisle. I've made that mistake before.)
  • 2 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 inch nob fresh ginger, peeled & minced
  • 1 Tbsp sesame oil
  • 2 1/2 Tbsp gluten-free soy sauce
  • 1/2 Tbsp water
  • 1 Tbsp almond butter
  • 1/2 Tbsp honey
  • 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp wine vinegar
  • 2 tsp chili sauce
  • dash of white pepper
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  • 1/2-8oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained & chopped
  • 10-12 large lettuce leaves
Directions
  1. Heat coconut oil in a large skillet. Add chicken, onion, salt, and white pepper. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink. 
  2. Add ginger and garlic. Cook 2-3 mins.
  3. In a small bowl, mix together sesame oil, soy sauce, water, almond butter, honey, wine vinegar, chili sauce, and white pepper. Add to skillet and stir to combine. Cook and stir until the almond butter is all mixed in.
  4. Add green onions and water chestnuts. Cook 3-4 minutes, until heated through. Serve with lettuce leaves.

Since it's starting to feel like fall, I also felt like it was necessary to make soup. (I don't really like eating soup, but I love cooking it.) It was fun to make but really bland, so I won't waste time writing it out here.
 
Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment